Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Colony House sits as a cornerstone of Keenes downtown historic district. Built in 1819 and enlarged at the turn of the twentieth century, it is recognized as one of the most sophisticated and significant federal style dwellings in New Hampshire.
Horatio Colony, Keenes first mayor, purchased the house in the 1860s and it remained in the Colony family for the next 100 years. Re-purchased by his great granddaughter, the home has been restored and now provides gracious lodging for guests and business travelers.
The guest quarters are entered via a private entrance. With general living quarters for guests on the main floor and bedrooms on the second floor, this is an ideal choice for individual travelers, relaxed family gatherings or longer term business guests.
The decor throughout is elegant yet comfortable. The main floor is comprised of an entry hall, living room, den and butlers pantry.
Keenes historic downtown includes a highly distinctive group of buildings that represent the full range of styles and building types commonly erected in the mid-19th through the mid-20th century. Court and Washington are exceptional urban streetscapes with excellent examples of the Federal and Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire and Stick styles, many with well-preserved barns and carriage houses.